Sunday, January 17, 2010

Invictus!


We saw the move Invictus last night. I was intrigued by it. I certainly hope it wins some Oscars. I loved Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman. It's not the type of movie I want to see over and over, because it's a little bit slow, but overall, it's such a good show. I was touched by the scene where the rugby team travels to the place where Nelson Mandella had been imprisoned. Matt Damon's character just tries to comprehend what it would be like to forgive the people who had put him there. Mandella's life, such a miracle in forgiveness, is an inspiration. The shortcoming that I had was a lack of knowledge of rugby. The way these scenes are filmed, it's difficult to follow without an understanding of the way rugby is played. I wanted to understand those scenes better and follow the story in the game more but was unable to. That being said, I think there are so many strengths in this movie in the way Eastwood really explores the theme of how rugby was just one tool in taking a step toward healing in South Africa. I also really loved the scene portrayed in this picture where the team goes out to the poorest of the poor and gives a clinic on rugby. It changes those kids and those players, and it's a great moment. I needed to look up the poem because it's difficult to hear on screen what the words are, but I am glad I did. It's really good.


Invictus by William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may beFor my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

No comments: